Metal Storm logo
Can we give feedback about the Moderators?

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 14.08.2006 - 18:05
Now, Metal Storm is a community of metal fans. One of the biggest attributes to this is the forum. As we all know we have moderators here who try to keep things in order and civil. When we have a problem all that is needed is to fill out the little report box and fire away. From what I have seen the Moderators do a pretty good job of taking care of this.

But recently, I have noticed some of the moderators are getting a bit sloppy. Spam is building up in some of the threads, which will happen, but it seems it is not being dealt with satisfactorily. Plus the other day I read a post by a moderator that I felt was just uncalled for. It contained inane writing pertaining to something that was not even relevant to the thread; it just seemed to be a cheap shot at one of the forum members. There have also been other times where I have seen Moderators use language that was rather uncalled for.

On an up note, there are many good things I can say about some of the moderators. Now my question is, is there someplace we can give feedback about Moderators? Maybe anonymously? My concern is I send in a report "Moderator So&So did this?" and nothing will be done because it was Mod So&So who did it. Plus, the other mods would get on my case. So what can be done? I would love to give feedback, both good and bad, to help make this a better forum. Thought?
10.09.2006 - 10:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=14754] on 10.09.2006 at 03:16

is it really that big of a deal that someone just gives a Simple shout Out on a Slayer Post by saying "South of Heaven rules my life!"?

Yes, it is a big deal, because a post like that IS spam. As one can read in the faq/rules of the site if you post something like "South of Heaven rules my life" ALSO give an explanation WHY it rules your life. Because, to be honest, if you just shouted something like that nobody would give a rat's ass but with an explanation people would read the pot and think about it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2006 - 13:55
lordz
IzZo
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2006 at 10:11

is it really that big of a deal that someone just gives a Simple shout Out on a Slayer Post by saying "South of Heaven rules my life!"?

Yes, it is a big deal, because a post like that IS spam. As one can read in the faq/rules of the site if you post something like "South of Heaven rules my life" ALSO give an explanation WHY it rules your life. Because, to be honest, if you just shouted something like that nobody would give a rat's ass but with an explanation people would read the pot and think about it.

are you sure their going to read the pot and not roll it ?? ...

just joking.... this a good example of spam I guess
10.09.2006 - 15:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Raiden on 04.09.2006 at 03:24

Was it Kariasakis7?

I know he comes from a country that wouldn't have English as it's first language, but apart from that he seems to make a lot of typos, often making it even more hard to understand him.

You wanna say its not posible understand what I try to say?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.09.2006 - 16:30
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
well, i´m sorry to have to say so, but yes, it is extremely hard to understand you,
from the grammar point of view its not too bad since you often write things like how you would say them, those mistakes dont matter too much because if someone reads them out loud he/she´ll understand what you mean,
but what does matter is the amount of typos you make, for example typing the letter next to the letter you wanted to type by accident, this can easily be prevented by reading your post before posting it though

as for the subject of this topic,
i think the mods are doing their job as good as they can, but there´s the problem, its not possible to please everyone, if the mods are strict people will claim that metalstorm isnt fun anymore, if they arent strict people will complain that everything is full of spam and that finding serious posts that actually have a meaning gets harder and harder

sometimes mods might be unkind or even mean to a member, but who of us doesnt lose his/her patience every once in a while, we all do, and i think almost all of us do so more often then the mods
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
11.09.2006 - 00:45
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2006 at 10:11

haha...Obviously i give a rat's ass because i'm addressing this,but You're right ,my mistake...i had no idea that "someone choosing to Just give a Band they Like a simple sentence of Praise instead of having to write a Essay or Thesis on why they like an album" was considered spam,because ya know,its not like this person could be a young 12 yr old kid..thats afraid of being called dumb or Insulted if he tried to write a paragraph so he chooses just to keep it simple to avoid being made fun of.a person shouldnt have to write a novel about why they like a certain song or album,i'm sorry but that shit is boring..and some of the people really need to pull the sticks out their asses on this site and have some fun because thats what metal is..Fun!...not Fucking Harvard Law where everyone is snobby and uptight.But i'll end this by saying a bunch of people just typing "Slayer!" is Spam which i can understand getting pissed about, but Not the Example i gave on my last Post,but what do i know?...i post on the alternative metal forum with the rest of the unintelligent "Posers" right? .......

and Bas2,...No one is Trying to Make MS full of Chaos, and Devoid of Mods.we're just saying that they just need to Ease off a bit...no Serious Posts?..you're joking right?...because that's all i see on here is serious post that are devoid of any kind of fun and to be honest are fucking boring...define meaning in a Topic?...a dull convo where everyone talks like emotionless robots and not to mention talk about the same bands and same lame topics about what genre they are or what guitar they used?..i got into Metal soo i can have fun and rock out with down to earth people like myself...if i wanted to have long serious debates about certain issues all the time and think i'm better than someone for knowing less...i would've went to some preppy ass ivy league school
11.09.2006 - 04:47
Richard
Elite
@Jesus_Puncher: We're just asking people to put in the 'effort' to write a little to back up their statements and opinions - it doesn't have to be about writing epic essays or gravely serious debating. You can still use humour and be lighthearted!

It's fine if you're only into Metal for the fun aspect - but bear in mind that for many of us, it's refreshing to be able to discuss it as a valid, serious form of music which has something more to offer than the stereotypical "party on dude!" attitude which society tends to associate with it.
----
11.09.2006 - 05:21
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Richard on 11.09.2006 at 04:47

@Jesus_Puncher: We're just asking people to put in the 'effort' to write a little to back up their statements and opinions - it doesn't have to be about writing epic essays or gravely serious debating. You can still use humour and be lighthearted!

It's fine if you're only into Metal for the fun aspect - but bear in mind that for many of us, it's refreshing to be able to discuss it as a valid, serious form of music which has something more to offer than the stereotypical "party on dude!" attitude which society tends to associate with it.

yeah i get what you're saying...but all i'm asking is it a possibility where there could be a chance where theres both serious Threads as well as more laidback Threads in other words if i was to Make a Thread down the road and said that i dont Care if someone gives a simple shout thats a sentence or a in deph discussion...am i gonna have to worry about Moderators locking the Thread when i gave the ok to begin with?
11.09.2006 - 08:32
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
Elite
We had that possibility but it was a chaos, I believe you when you say that you're not here to make a mess but believe me many are. So no, there isn't a possibility to post allowed spam anymore. There are many other metal forums in the net who allows that kind of posting and to me it seems that it's impossible to have any kind of debate in any issue in those places, that's why we've chosen our way. You don't have to write an essay but you need to back up and give some arguments for your opinion.
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
11.09.2006 - 11:05
Draklar
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14754] on 11.09.2006 at 00:45

its not like this person could be a young 12 yr old kid..thats afraid of being called dumb or Insulted if he tried to write a paragraph so he chooses just to keep it simple to avoid being made fun of.
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure this site is intended for 12 year olds anyway... As a matter of fact I'm not exactly sure the internet as a whole is intended for 12 year olds (unless under parental patronage).
12.09.2006 - 01:22
wrathchild
Staff
@ Baz: I'm sorry if I have been offensive to someone, especially a newcomer, and I should apologize for that. I didn't succeed in finding such a post in this new forum and in the old one, but I think I can trust you. I first thought you were talking about K7, and to tell the truth, he's been warned for posting stuff that a normal guy would not possibly understand without pulling their hair out. Also, for sticking his nose everywhere and talking more about football than anything else on a metal site. Some of those accusations were probably not 100% fair - especially since he didn't harm anyone or violate any important rule. Now we all appreciate his participation (of course, it would be betteer with perfect grammar...).
I know I have publicly insulted one person: Dreamwar, a spammer who made tons of accounts and I was relly desesperate about his case, after having sent tons of PMs to him to try to negociate... There were also some other people, Jed Head for example, but that was because of repeated mistakes that could be read publicly (and I doubt we could afford to remove such posts, so hearty reactions are sometimes needed).
All in all, I know that - unfortunately - people take watever I say or write as a serious threat, even when I'm just trying to be funny...

i've looked at Locked Threads where Wrathchild and other Mods Locked on Personal Opinion and at the same time no one was doing anything wrong.......sounds biased to me... pretty lame as well...i can understand the spam control...but i've seen threads get locked for petty shit and people's posts get deleted because a person made a Typo or they didnt give a paragraph on why they like a band...is it really that big of a deal that someone just gives a Simple shout Out on a Slayer Post by saying "South of Heaven rules my life!"?.....well there's my feedback

Other mods explained why it was bad to spam such things as "I like this band!!!" so Iwill only add that: what's the use of saying that? Obviously, one likes or dislikes this or that band, but does it really matter? Is it interesting to read? Can you react to such messages? I doubt so, and I keep in mind that a forum is a place for discussions to take place.

As for threads being locked on personal opinions, I'm always craving for them! I mean, I'm always interested in knowing which actions (especially mine, but as you can read at the bottom of this page, I'm also interested in knowing everything about the forum and the way we moderate it) are either considered unfair or not completely understood by our members.
I admit we sometimes lock threads as part of rituals when it's to expensive to sacrifice virgins our daily routine... When you lock a "list your 150 fav songs without even thinking of posting an explanation" everyday, it may happen that you are short on time or just bored and you don't explain why you're locking it the right way. It's bad... But we're humans too. Although, I haven't seen this happening a lot, so I'm still curious about which threads you were talking about.

As Angie explained, mods rarely take a decision on their own, we consult each others and we're always trying our best t come up with the best soution for the site.
Personal messages are personal (sounds obvious, huh) so I understand they can either be misunderstood or even offensive/bad/inappropriate but one can perfectly report a mod to mods. Unfortunately, and despite the many attempts I did to tell people they could perfectly do that, we have received very very few reports like that. Actually, those we received were more "mods reporting other mods to mods"... Don't be afraid!
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
12.09.2006 - 11:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@wrat - In new forum isnt ''prewiew'' button and its harder corect my mistaces, but eddit works better and i corect them(where i found mistace)
and probobly im not only one here who's english isnt perfect, i know one guy and wrighting is not talking in english.
And wrighting whit hand are easyer how whit PC and specely if in shool you use diferent keybords, in home other, next day in school diferent how previusly day and next day, letters and keybord form is not simmilar.

I dont talk about football I talk about ewerything and about music too, and it was in time when I was newbie here and it was long ago and Jeff and Ozman talk about it too
But in football tread etliest my post are maybe not readible, but i explain something, now how some mambers say - today LOL-OMG or AAA-BBB what a games or ''guys uuuuu Nr. X score nice gool, its boring read such post or like one guy say there ''Im in school now, i hawnt seen foot 4 days''
my post there etliest are whit some explanation
And Im only one who thinks polish football are better how English, so ...

Also about music its boring read X band rocks or y band what a crap, its like you sad in nobody dont read it, if i post i explain why, same about voting X vs Y some vote X i etliest try explain why thay are better or simmilar, only some mmaber post good post what I enjoy read, i think in old forum ''what is your best freind in MS'' Australian guy dark Cornatus or Necromance_s or other post list of mambers witch post s are god and great to read and I can agree whit him(btw he mention me )

what means this ''Now we all appreciate his participation''
And I dont hurt or say harsh to nobody I only can remeber one case when I say hars to one mamber but I was 4 days old MS mamber there and didnt know almoust nothing about site rulles, and it was old and I hawnt do it this year and end of last too.

what means violate imortant rule?

I agree about mods, tread, pool locked what you say, and I has nothing against way how mods moderate.
even I hawe no place where talk about wine anymore

P.S

This is long post so its hard corect mistaces whit out reading 10 times, so i do it in home.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.09.2006 - 13:27
Baz Anderson
Staff
haha im just glad ive never been warned about anything in the couple of years ive been on here
at least people that come to this site where English isnt their first language - they will improve and learn more about English
wrathchild: you dont have to apologise for anything, its all forgotten now anyway. if the guy did carry on posting it would have just been a waste of the sites space with no one being able to understand him

i think its great though that people of other nationalities can speak and write English!
its something that I find quite remarkable because me being English and having English as my first language - we arent really taught any other language in a serious way
i wish i could go onto a German forum or something and have conversations on there but i cant - so i quite admire the people who come on here and write in English when it isnt their first language
13.09.2006 - 08:06
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by wrathchild on 12.09.2006 at 01:22

@ Baz: I'm sorry if I have been offensive to someone, especially a newcomer, and I should apologize for that. I didn't succeed in finding such a post in this new forum and in the old one, but I think I can trust you. I first thought you were talking about K7, and to tell the truth, he's been warned for posting stuff that a normal guy would not possibly understand without pulling their hair out. Also, for sticking his nose everywhere and talking more about football than anything else on a metal site. Some of those accusations were probably not 100% fair - especially since he didn't harm anyone or violate any important rule. Now we all appreciate his participation (of course, it would be betteer with perfect grammar...).
I know I have publicly insulted one person: Dreamwar, a spammer who made tons of accounts and I was relly desesperate about his case, after having sent tons of PMs to him to try to negociate... There were also some other people, Jed Head for example, but that was because of repeated mistakes that could be read publicly (and I doubt we could afford to remove such posts, so hearty reactions are sometimes needed).
All in all, I know that - unfortunately - people take watever I say or write as a serious threat, even when I'm just trying to be funny...

i've looked at Locked Threads where Wrathchild and other Mods Locked on Personal Opinion and at the same time no one was doing anything wrong.......sounds biased to me... pretty lame as well...i can understand the spam control...but i've seen threads get locked for petty shit and people's posts get deleted because a person made a Typo or they didnt give a paragraph on why they like a band...is it really that big of a deal that someone just gives a Simple shout Out on a Slayer Post by saying "South of Heaven rules my life!"?.....well there's my feedback

Other mods explained why it was bad to spam such things as "I like this band!!!" so Iwill only add that: what's the use of saying that? Obviously, one likes or dislikes this or that band, but does it really matter? Is it interesting to read? Can you react to such messages? I doubt so, and I keep in mind that a forum is a place for discussions to take place.

As for threads being locked on personal opinions, I'm always craving for them! I mean, I'm always interested in knowing which actions (especially mine, but as you can read at the bottom of this page, I'm also interested in knowing everything about the forum and the way we moderate it) are either considered unfair or not completely understood by our members.
I admit we sometimes lock threads as part of rituals when it's to expensive to sacrifice virgins our daily routine... When you lock a "list your 150 fav songs without even thinking of posting an explanation" everyday, it may happen that you are short on time or just bored and you don't explain why you're locking it the right way. It's bad... But we're humans too. Although, I haven't seen this happening a lot, so I'm still curious about which threads you were talking about.

As Angie explained, mods rarely take a decision on their own, we consult each others and we're always trying our best t come up with the best soution for the site.
Personal messages are personal (sounds obvious, huh) so I understand they can either be misunderstood or even offensive/bad/inappropriate but one can perfectly report a mod to mods. Unfortunately, and despite the many attempts I did to tell people they could perfectly do that, we have received very very few reports like that. Actually, those we received were more "mods reporting other mods to mods"... Don't be afraid!

well..i remember it was a Thread that i was interested in posting on...i didnt realize it was locked...and i got to the bottom and saw your post about locking it..all i remember is i thought it was kind of a petty reason... but whatever...if it happens again..i'll hit you up in Pm like you said to or something
30.09.2006 - 17:28
Lupas
Maximus
For a person that do not write so much here ;

@ All Mods : May i say that without you this site would be much more different, in a good sense i mean.:) All mods do work hard here to monitor this site and i don't know how hrs they made in this site to see that all is going well.

@ K7 ; Well most of us English is not our lang. so as much as i understand i don't bother and give marks for good grammar or spelling. We are here only for metal songs and metal world not in eng. lang. School. And as far i can see football thread is one of the most hit thread.

@ ALL

Have a beer and listen to good music
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
11.12.2006 - 09:19
Hyvaarin
Written by wrathchild on 12.09.2006 at 01:22

That's a very good point. A possible reason for such posts is the nature of most of the threads in the melodic/extreme/alternative forums - threads just about a band, rather than a strongly focussed topic. It's a lot harder to write something provocative and stimulating when you're simultaneously limited (ie. to discussing the one band/whatever) and given no focus (ie. there's often little argument/thrust of discussion). I'm not suggesting that I have all the answers or anything, it's just an innocent observation .

Anyway, my question - in the 'Upcoming Events' section, all the dates are for Australian shows (the Deicide and Gamma Ray tours, the Big Day Out Festival, etc.) I'm just wondering if events are filtered to display only those relevant to each member, or if the only events being submitted are Australian ones?
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
11.12.2006 - 12:20
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
Relevant to each country, I'd imagine, since we're both Australian and I see what you're saying.

Mods? Probably the best lot I've ever seen on duty here. They send you messages if you're fucking up or have fucked up on a sig picture/avatar/etc(like the other day, thanks again wrath). Most other places I've been don't even extend that courtesy.
----
12.12.2006 - 16:58
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Hyvaarin on 11.12.2006 at 09:19

Anyway, my question - in the 'Upcoming Events' section, all the dates are for Australian shows (the Deicide and Gamma Ray tours, the Big Day Out Festival, etc.) I'm just wondering if events are filtered to display only those relevant to each member, or if the only events being submitted are Australian ones?

Yep, you only see the upcoming events from the country you chose in your profile.
To see all events, go to http://www.metalstorm.ee/events/events.php.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
12.12.2006 - 17:57
Sunioj
Written by Elijah on 11.12.2006 at 12:20

Relevant to each country, I'd imagine, since we're both Australian and I see what you're saying.

Mods? Probably the best lot I've ever seen on duty here. They send you messages if you're fucking up or have fucked up on a sig picture/avatar/etc(like the other day, thanks again wrath). Most other places I've been don't even extend that courtesy.

Goddamnit, that explains so much, for like the past year or so everytime I look on the upcoming events I see "orphaned land - tel aviv" for like a year
and remember asking, "what good would that do for members in Europe, they're not going to fly to Israel to see a show".